Pages

Thursday 12 April 2012

Journals progress, red to yellow

I'm taking part in the Contemporary Quilt Group challenge again this year. The theme is to make an A4 piece once / month with 4 months focusing on shades of red, 4 months on shades of yellow and 4 months on shades of blue. Up to 25% of the piece can be other colours, as long as the predominant colour is as specified for that month.

I showed the January effort here, but I don't think I showed February, maybe as I wasn't too pleased with how it turned out. Fabric origami hearts appliquéd to a shibori dyed background.
P1080172

March is now complete. Cotton sheeting, batik dyed with red procion P after marking with soya-wax,( washes out with hot water, so no tedious ironing it out) and then machine quilted. Binding is commercial fabric attached from the back, and stitched down with a decorative stitch from the machine.

P1080431

April's is underway, and I've decided to include a transition from one colour to the next in the pieces that straddle a change of main colour. Commercial fabrics, the background is one of my all time favourites, " Milano villas" from Makower. Appliqued hexagons, with an attempt at machine trapunto, not very successfully so far, as the puffiness all seems to be on the back. Maybe a greater amount of background quilting will make it more prominent.
P1080432

Due to a sick child ( not serious,now recovering), I've had a day at home, so have made a start on May, the first of the yellow-themed pieces. Hand-dyed fabrics from an exchange, which will have dense hand-embroidery on it.
P1080430



1 comment:

  1. I love the way the split hexies make a sun burst shape, and I hadn't seen that fabric before - fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.