Pages

Saturday 26 May 2012

So, on the hottest day of the year so far, we use the smelliest process in the studio………

Discharge printing, on fabrics that I have dyed previously and on silks from india that have been stashed away for years. This was also a chance to try out the new screen made with the paper cuts and to repeat a bit of "Charles Rennie Mackintosh meets Frank Lloyd Wright at the Willow Tearooms".
P1080634

The lighter patterns appear solely as a result of the discharge paste being applied through the silk screen. As I didn't dye these silks myself, I had no idea what the result would be. Excitingly, they are all lovely, details below.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh etc, the first on shot silk dupion and then on tightly woven paper silk
P1080625
P1080630
P1080632

Papercuts
P1080627
P1080628
P1080631


Papercuts on dyed, waxed, dyed again cotton
P1080633

The paste has to be activated by steaming, so the studio was baking. All worth it though.








2 comments:

  1. Really vivid colours, I really like the pink one, I'll have to try *something* with my batik!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those paper cut images and I like the discharge idea. I have only played with it with a domestic iron - I haven't gone into the industrial levels that you seem to be on. Fabulous results. You must be pretty chuffed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.