Pages

Saturday 26 October 2013

Salts Mill, what a thrill, part 1

As part of a trip up north, I went to Salts Mill to see the Cloth and Memory 2 exhibition, curated by Lesley Millar.  This was magical from start to finish, and if you can get there I would thoroughly recommend it.  The building itself is remarkable, and the spinning shed, where the exhibition, is an astonishing space, 180 m long.  The textile pieces are all very thought-provoking, and the technical skills exhibited were astonishing.  The way the light changed during the day really added to the enjoyment of the whole experience.  

I've focussed here on photos of the setting rather than of the work, as I need to reflect more on what I saw.  The main reflection is why is this "textile art" rather than mixed media?  Is it because there was information available about the artists' inspirations?  Was it because there was an explanation of techniques?  Was it because there were handling samples available to enhance the experience?

P1020374

P1020379

P1020522

P1020542

P1020431

P1020411

P1020429

2 comments:

  1. All good questions - will be interested to hear your conclusions. From the other info I've seen it sounds like an interesting exhibition.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.