Pages

Thursday 9 January 2014

Blackwork

Not traditional blackwork by hand, but machine quilting using black thread on white cloth.   I've been reading the book "Freemotion Quiltng Handbook" by Judy Woodworth.    That, in combination with the drawings on the site of Lu-ann Kessi, and an exercise to be done for next week's Morley class, inspired me to do free motion stitching in black.  Very tricky, as the black shows up every wavering line, but very good to see where those lines come in each shape, and perhaps find a creative solution ( other than just more practising) to adapt the design to cope with the wavering.

Piece of 30cm square sampler

P1030039

Rose detail

P1030043

Feather detail

P1030042

Strips

Blask quilting strips

This middle one is my favourite triangle ( without the dog hair!)

P1030040

And finally, the binding is on the scrap quilt, sewn to the front, folded over, and stitched from the back with the machine serpentine stitch.  You can also see the wavy line quilting in the border here, where I deliberately set the tension such that a bit of the cream thread from the bobbin shows where the stitches interlock.  I thought this added a bit to the quilting, and also allowed me to keep the cream thread on the back really clear.

P1030046

Back - yes there are shadows today.

P1030047

4 comments:

  1. I find that if I stitch over each line twice the wobbles counter balance then selves. Does obviously give a much bolder line, so may be difficult with smaller designs.
    Though I don't think yours looks that wobbly. Its that old thing of being over analytical/ critical of our own work. Plus I like a bit of wobble, make it seem more human less machine made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your black stitching on the white, Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant quilting, Avril! Really love the railway tracks and triangles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.