Pages

Friday 7 November 2014

Adventures with pencil and thread

Continuing explorations and sampling, I played around a bit this week with putting colour on cloth using watercolour pencils and Inktense pencils.  I'm still undecided about the Inktense, as the colours are so bright - and I usually like bright.  

As you can see, I am not a tidy worker.  Initial trials were with freezer paper stencils with water-colour pencils and ink pads.

R1033373

This gave quite accurate and pleasant results.

R1033385

The on to using Inktense on some of the quilted samples from the Philippa Naylor course, following the instructions here. I experimented with water only, water and textile medium, and textile medium on its own.  Water causes a lot of colour bleeding, could be good in some contexts, and the most refined results came form a mixture of water and textile medium - petals 1-6 in the flower on top right.

R1033382

I needed some stitch work after that, working at my mobile sewing station.

R1033384

Some postcards appeared for a swap next week.  The metallic threads on these proved very temperamental but isn't that fabric appropriate for this week?.

R1033372

I have forced myself to get down to more drawing, I'm Ok with these results.

R1033390

I've called this, " Will I keep them?" as I am still undecided about these shoes.  They are Clarks, and have actual Linton tweed in them, so I would be supporting two aspects of the British economy by keeping them.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, thanks for the tip on the intense, I have them but was disappointed with the bleeding, I'll try And remember the water & textile medium mixture next time, you're getting really good at drawing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your textile experiments are very interesting...keep the shoes, you really must!
    bestest daisy j x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.