Pages

Sunday 14 April 2013

London day out

Two exhibitions today.  First, Ceramic Art 2013 at the Royal College of Art.  I could have spent a fortune.  Unfortunately, this exhibition was only on this weekend, so it is finished,  All images from the Ceramic Art site, as no photography was allowed.
Dorothee Loriquet, wonderfully tactile structures that can be placed horizontally or vertically, each about 40cm in length.
NewImage
Patricia Volk, these pieces are big, about 1 metre high and designed to be shown outdoors.
NewImage
Duncan Ross, the colours and the precision in these were superb.
NewImage
Thomas Bohle, striking, powerful shapes and marvellous glazes
NewImage
Antonia Salmon, fantastic, hand-formed Archimedes' screws
NewImage
Tina Vlassopoulos, whose work has featured in this blog before
NewImage
Lara Scobie, and Sasha Wardell, whose work I have also seen before and loved
NewImage
NewImage
Fenella Elms, with intriguing ribbons of porcelain mounted on walls or encased in acrylic
NewImage
Kate Scott, gorgeous sea-themed pieces
NewImage
Ikuko Iwamoto, astonishing, vaguely menacing,  delicate assemblies of repeated elements
NewImage
Then a quick whizz round "Strictly Science" at Imperial College, to mark the centenary of the Medical Research Council.  Somehow , I missed the publicity for this, and the closing day was today.  Great fun and some terrific interactive exhibits.  Some new names to me, of which I am rather ashamed, particularly Dame Harriette Chick, who did important work to demonstrate the link between rickets and a lack of Vitamin D.
My own photos of the day were taken with phone, rather than camera, and the rain was appalling, so this mosaic of "Lookng up to London" was my only contribution to imagery of the day. ( Mosaic , courtesy of BigHugeLabs.com)

Mosaic3931d97664cd1927ed2a59635dd500c97d8d85d7

2 comments:

  1. That ceramics show looks interesting.

    It's daft that these places don't allow photography. I would be flattered if people wanted to take photos of my work.

    Any way, looks as though you had a very interesting day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, the graffiti/doodle bowl, the glazed thing and the Duncan Ross would all be very welcome in my house! I had problems with big lab the last few times I tried!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.