Pages

Saturday 20 December 2014

Quilting as an outlet for crossness

Being a parent to male teenagers has seemed more straightforward to me than being a parent of  male toddlers, except when it comes to school reports.  Discussions seem to be on an annual loop, with major dips in December, followed by a steady climb through the rest of the year to good results at the end of the summer.  I should be used to this by now, but each December, I allow myself to become cross at seeing the same words again: careless, sloppy, no attention to detail, etc, etc, etc.  With some self discipline, I managed to channel this crossness into some machine quilting, rather than immediately entering the verbal jousting match.

I have bought a straight stitch foot plate as recommended by Philippa Naylor, and this does seem to make these intricate curls much easier to quilt repeatedly, although I did manage to break a needle when forgetting that the plate is not compatible with zig zag stitches.

Inspired by art waves

R1033522

R1033521

I was evidently not completely  focussed though, as I managed to stitch the Supreme Slider mat directly to the back of the quilt sandwich.

R1033524

Thankfully I could cut it free and it still seems to work.  Glass of something Christmassy needed now.

3 comments:

  1. What an brilliant title for a post! Had me hooked from the first. Blooming boys, they do put us throught the ringer! And such an amazing quilt, very powerful image. Love it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops to the needle and the mat, but wow to the quilting - it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhhhh love the quilt and the quilting (although not sewing through the slider, that wouldn't help the grumpiness, I'm guessing. At least you have the rest of the year to look forward to seeing an improvement to the report news!

    Hope that crossness soon diminishes, glass of something Christmassy was enjoyed, and that your chest infection has lifted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.