Pages

Wednesday 14 December 2016

Inversion

Not yoga, but inverting black and white in drawing, such that the dark shadows become the brightest whites and the brightest highlight becomes the darkest dark.  This was last week’s mind-boggling exercise at the drawing course.

Still life - different tones and textures

20161208_125009

Charcoal drawing in progress, starting with a mid-grey, charcoal-rubbed ground, and then using the rubber to add the light and adding back more charcoal to draw the darks. The eyes were playing tricks with the mind and that light bit on the right hand side of the cylinder should be very dark.

20161208_121433

Development

20161208_124959

This was a fascinating exercise, but I doubt I will have the quietness of mind in the next few weeks to try it at home.  Researching the use of tone only after the class, I came across a  wonderful etching by Tony Cragg, “Laboratory Still Life No 4”.

Tony Cragg, 'Laboratory Still Life No. 4' 1988

As recently as two years ago, I would have skimmed past a work like this, now I can start at it in wonder, and seek it out the next time I visit the Tate.  Education is a wonderful thing, particularly when you are old enough to enjoy and appreciate the gift that it is,

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment. I love to read them, but can't always respond.